Net vir Pret’s financial year ended on 31 March and the accounts show a small operating surplus rather than the deficit we have grown accustomed to. This happy change is due to the continuing support of long-standing donors EDSA (UK) and SPZA (NL), the DG Murray Trust and two new donors, the Claude Leon Foundation and the King Baudouin Foundation (BE). Details are provided in our Annual Report which can be viewed on our website.
Funding for the current year, although not entirely secure at the time of writing, looks hopeful.
Sharon Dean and Lyn Hilton – old friends from the UK who have contributed substantially to Net vir Pret over the years – came on a visit in March, bringing with them not only a load of toys and clothing but also Sharon’s two nieces, Emily and Natalie Dean, from Australia who immersed themselves in our work and ran a very successful Sports Day which attracted crowds of children.
- Three young volunteers from the US Sam and Mike Fynn and their friend Shane, spent the day with us and led the aftercare group in games.
- Horst Tabel and Dr. Andrey Semenko contributed R1000 to the Matric Fund which aims to assist school-leavers to take up study at tertiary level.
- Kevin Joubert’s video of last year’s Day of Reconciliation parade was edited without charge by Ezio Taranto and Kieran Druzynski of XCut Studios and can be viewed on our website.
- Barrydale fire chief, Karel, visited the aftercare programme with his fire engine spent an afternoon creating awareness about fire hazards.
- In a very welcome development, Joan Peeters has taken Clarissa and the Art Group under her wing. They are preparing for an exhibition of work in December.
- Bob Wolf’s Skills Group have been making kites and constructing and installing fold-up tables in their homes, ideal when space is
- at a premium.
- Derek and Committee Deputy Chair Shane Petzer attended a meeting of the Handspring Puppet Company and Trust during April to discuss proposals for this year’s Day of Reconciliation parade and performance. The meeting was enthusiastic about Net vir Pret’s proposal of Bringing the Sea to the Karoo as the theme. It was agreed that the event should be extended over the weekend of the 14th and 15th December by the provision of additional attractions, e.g. a Voorkamer Fees. Shane was tasked with exploring possibilities.
- The Blikkiesband and the giant puppets participated at the Swellendam Agricultural Show during March.